Saturday, April 18, 2015

Kanab


We arrived in Kanab on Tues. and after stopping for groceries found another free camping site at the trailhead to Peekaboo canyon. A wide dirt parking lot with a nice enough view, and no level spots. The next day we went to town to enter the lottery for a permit to hike “the Wave”.



Ten spots are given out each day. There were 118 other people in the drawing that morning and we did not win. So off we went for a breakfast at a restaurant which had a coat rack with  holsters and guns hanging below each hook. I staged a photo with my jacket and put it on Facebook. Much to my surprise – people actually believed that it was my gun. (guess I should have posted on Apr. 1).



That afternoon, we visited the “Best Friend Animal Sanctuary and took a tour. It is an amazing place: 3700 acres, ~ 1500 animals. The have horse, pigs, bunnies, dogs, cats, and wild animals needing care. Fortunately, they are able to adopt out many of their animals. They work hard to rehabilitate them physically and also behaviorally, so that they make good pets. The ones that cannot be adopted remain with them for life.

We decided to go to town and run errands on Thursday. Just like a sticks and brick home, my little casita needs little tune-ups and parts. We enjoyed our town day and Scruffy is enjoying what I am learning from the book I bought, “Good Habits for Great Dogs”.  This week we are learning the game “Find-it”.

Each night in Kanab was a chilly one – can you say 20 degrees. We would check the weather guess each morning and reassure ourselves it was going to warm up soon. One morning, after another no heat night, I found my solar panels iced over and was not able to start the furnace in the morning as the battery lost its charge from so much cold.  We had a dusting of snow and as I was trying to clear my panels visions of a campground, electricity and hot showers danced through my head. (If the weather report hadn’t called  for another cloudy day and cold night we might have made it to sunny Saturday. But luckily when I shared my vision with Anne – she too thought it sounded like a fine idea.



And it Was. Scruffy was treated to a cute dog park and made some friends there to run with. (He loves dogs and their people). We were warm, charged all our devices, had hot showers and rented the movie “The Theory of Everything” from Redbox. All in all, a spectacular city day. And we happily went back to our sunny campsite on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment