Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bound for Albuquerque


Anne and I headed in different directions on Apr. 21. She was heading west then north planning to arrive in Portland, OR in early May. I headed East and then south to catch a plane from Albuquerque on Apr. 25.




The first leg of my journey took me on US89 in Utah through Escalante, past the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell, through Page AZ, then on US98 to Rte 160 W. I left 160 at 564 and took a detour out to the Navaho National Monument. It offers a free campground with beautiful views. I would like to come back here for the ranger tour one day.

The second leg was on US160 through Kayenta, past Shiprock and through Farmington to Bloomfield. I stopped around 2:30 to do laundry so I could start to pack. Late afternoon found me back at Angel Peak for the night.


The last leg was down 550 to Bernalillo, NM and the south on 25 to Albuquerque and west on 40 to the Enchanted Trails RV Park.  It is a place I like to stay overnight when I have an early flight out of Albuquerque. It harkens back to the days when Rte 66 was a popular route and they have a number of refurbished trailers that people can rent as “cabins” if they don’t bring their home with them. (The best part is it is close to the airport and I get a 50% discount. (Yeah Passport America)




This was a layover for me. I got a new battery setup for my trailer. Now I will be able to store some of the electricity that my solar panel produces each day. I took Scruffy for his first “Spa” session. (In other words, he is having a bath, hair trim and having his nails done.)  The things a poor dog has to go through when heading to civilization.

Since we have a 5:55 am flight (what was I thinking), we went to the airport a day early to pay the pet fee and get boarding passes for Scruffy. Flying American for one leg and US Air for two even though I am booked on American means stopping at each airline to verify that he is registered and the seats I have booked will fit his carrier bag underneath. I was lucky enough to get great people to work with and one women (AA) told me that she will be working when I come in – she will look for me at 4:30am and call me up so I don’t have to wait. Then I will get to sign some paperwork for the dog and check my bag.

I also checked out a parking lot and verified that I can leave truck and trailer there. $5.50/ day for both. Seems like a good deal. I have used them before for just my truck and know that their service to and from airport is excellent.


I am looking forward to spending a few days with Deb and Rich in CT and then a week with my Dad in Florida. I hope Scruffy enjoys this time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment