Friday, March 20, 2015

Tonto National Forest

We stopped to explore Tonto National Forest on our trek toward Santa Fe New Mexico. It has a number of campgrounds located on bluffs overlooking Lake Theodore Roosevelt.






Scruffy and I enjoyed walking the trails around the points and along the lakes although I am sure he doesn’t get the draw of scenic viewpoints. And I have to admit a lack of interest in sniffing the local flora. But together we manage to find joy for both of us.



















One day we visited Tonto National Monument. One can visit the lower ruins on their own by following a paved, switched back trail up the hillside. It was a hot walk and scruffy eagerly ran up but since it was sunny and he was hot (black dogs suffer in the sun) I carried him down. We got a little teasing but I told folks that since he had towed me up, it seemed only fair that I carry him down.






This was also the site of our first Rattlesnake meet-up. We were at our campsite, me dozing in the lounger and scruffy on a 10 ft lead attached to the chair. For some reason, the snake’s rattle woke me up and I saw Scruffy and the snake eyeing each other. I quickly reeled Scruffy in and picked him up, which seemed to calm things but when I stood up the snake rattled again and began to move towards me. I moved behind the chair, and carried the dog in a wide arc away from the snake and back to the trailer. Standing on the steps I thought he was now coming toward the trailer. I was inside and safe and quite fascinated and frightened. Later it slithered off into the brush between my campsite and Anne’s. I took the road over to her and told her what we had seen. She came for a peek and we both agreed it was a very “pretty” snake. It was a light sand tone that blended into the landscape with black stripes on the tail near the rattle.  Very beautiful and if I never meet another rattlesnake I will be very content.


(Sorry no picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment