Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Scruffy has a day

Today started a little early when Scruffy got up at three for kisses. Fortunately, we quickly wrapped up in covers and got back to sleep. Then as the sun was rising, we got up again for kisses and play.




I love to get up and watch the sky change colors and drink my coffee and then I usually read something for inspiration. (As if the sun isn't enough). After that Scruffy and I take our first walk and then we meditate. After breakfast the day becomes more variable. And this one was definitely a surprise.

The second time we were out - I let scruffy and his leash take off into the brush at the side of the lake. I got distracted and next thing I new, he and his bright red leash were out of site. I was't worried about him getting lost, or getting to a road but I did realize that his leash could get caught up in the brush (don't worry he wears a harness not a collar) and since he doesn’t bark but tends to lie down and take a nap when trapped, it could take a long time for me to find him.



So I began, wandering through the brush and calling him. I looked for a while to the right of the path and then went back down the other side and looked to the left. When I returned to the top of the rise, he was standing next to my chair wagging his tail. Scruffy’s magnificent journey, I thought. And resolved not to make that mistake again.

Later we tried kayaking. Initially, he just got in my lap and slept. Unfortunately, I got the idea to rearrange my legs and that seemed to disturb him. He could not settle and decided to get up on the deck to ponder jumping. I had the other end of the leash, and we went through a few repetitions of I put a paddle in the water and he jumps on the deck and I decided we should call it a day and head in.

I then tied his leash around my seat so that he could not get to the deck and he sat while I paddled. I though perhaps being held in more tightly was calming for him.

No sooner had that notion passed through my head than he jumped over the side. As he hit the water I had his harness and pulled him back in the boat. He was soaked and the water, seemed very cold. Wrapped in a towel on my lap, with alternating, paddling and hugging, we made it back to shore - where he was more than happy to disembark.

For now, we will stick to hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment